This is a companion to my other Bird of the Day blog, which focuses on birds I have seen in Victoria, Canada.

In March 2014, my husband and I traveled to Australia. These are the birds I photographed during our time in Melbourne and Tasmania. All of the pictures were taken with my Nikon D3100, which is an entry-level digital SLR camera, and my new AF-S VR 70-300 mm f/4.5-5.G IF ED lens.

Friday, March 21, 2014

Cape Barren Goose

Cereopsis novaehollandiae

Appearance:
Large, bulky goose
Short black bill
Bright greenish-yellow cere
Grey plumage with black spots
Black tail and flight feathers
Pink legs
Black feet


I had been told that Maria Island was a bird watcher's Mecca where you can see all twelve of Tasmania's endemic birds, including the rare Cape Barren Goose. Having convinced my husband to accompany me, we took an early ferry over to the island. The morning started off with a bang as a couple of Cape Barren Geese were there to welcome us as we got off the boat. Walking up to the Darlington townsite, several more of these birds made an appearance. By the end of the day, I swear we had seen at least a hundred of them.  Maybe not so rare after all?


 Learn more about the Cape Barren Goose.

No comments:

Post a Comment