This is a companion to my other Bird of the Day blog, which focuses on birds I have seen in Victoria, Canada.

In March 2014, my husband and I traveled to Australia. These are the birds I photographed during our time in Melbourne and Tasmania. All of the pictures were taken with my Nikon D3100, which is an entry-level digital SLR camera, and my new AF-S VR 70-300 mm f/4.5-5.G IF ED lens.

Friday, March 28, 2014

Eastern Rosella

Platycercus eximius



Appearance:
Medium-sized parrot
White cheeks
Red head, neck and breast
Black back, each feather broadly edged yellowish-green
Bright blue shoulders
Yellow belly
Blue-green to yellow-green lower abdomen and rump
Red undertail
Off-white bill
Female:
      Slightly duller overall
Juvenile:
     Duller overall
    Yellow-orange bill

This bird and his 'friends' were feeding on the ground yesterday at the Bonorong Wildlife Sanctuary.  Like us, they were just visiting.  However, this family of wallabies were residents at the centre.  (I know they aren't birds but I couldn't resist including them.  The little joey is so cute!)

Learn more about the Eastern Rosella.

No comments:

Post a Comment