This is a companion to my other Bird of the Day blog, which focuses on birds I have seen in Victoria, Canada.

In March 2014, my husband and I traveled to Australia. These are the birds I photographed during our time in Melbourne and Tasmania. All of the pictures were taken with my Nikon D3100, which is an entry-level digital SLR camera, and my new AF-S VR 70-300 mm f/4.5-5.G IF ED lens.

Thursday, March 27, 2014

Laughing Kookaburra


Dacelo novaeguineae



Appearance:
Large kingfisher 
Large, creamy-white head
Dark brown stripe through each eye 
Brown stripe over the top of the head
Very large bill, black on top / bone coloured on bottom
Creamy-white underparts 
Brown wings and back 
Sky blue spots on shoulders
Rusty reddish-orange tail, with dark brown bars 

I don't know about gum trees but Kookaburras certainly like to sit on hydro wires.  We spotted at least one of them each day as we drove around Tasmania. I never heard any laughter though. They were all sitting quietly on their perch looking out over the world.

Learn more about the Laughing Kookaburra.

No comments:

Post a Comment