This is a companion to my other Bird of the Day blog, which focuses on birds I have seen in Victoria, Canada.

In March 2014, my husband and I traveled to Australia. These are the birds I photographed during our time in Melbourne and Tasmania. All of the pictures were taken with my Nikon D3100, which is an entry-level digital SLR camera, and my new AF-S VR 70-300 mm f/4.5-5.G IF ED lens.

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Masked Lapwing

Vanellus miles novaehollandiae 


Appearance:
Medium-sized, ground-dwelling bird
White underparts
Brown wings and back
Black crown, nape and shoulders
Yellow bill 
Bright yellow wattle  

I am posting this bird today in an attempt to try to get my husband to stop pointing them out to me.  I have lost count of the number of times I've heard  "Ooo....there's a different one.  What's that?" My answer is always the same.  "It's a Masked Lapwing".  They appear to be everywhere in Tasmania: on the beach, in fields, next to the road.  They also always seem to travel in pairs.  Probably so they can say to each other "Ooo....look at that one with the camera.  She's different."

Learn more about the Masked Lapwing.

No comments:

Post a Comment