This is a companion to my other Bird of the Day blog, which focuses on birds I have seen in Victoria, Canada.

In March 2014, my husband and I traveled to Australia. These are the birds I photographed during our time in Melbourne and Tasmania. All of the pictures were taken with my Nikon D3100, which is an entry-level digital SLR camera, and my new AF-S VR 70-300 mm f/4.5-5.G IF ED lens.

Sunday, March 16, 2014

Nankeen Night Heron

Nycticorax caledonicus

Royal Botanic Gardens, Melbourne
Appearance:
Stocky, medium-sized heron
Large head
Short neck
Reddish-brown upperparts
White-buff underparts
White line around eyes
Short, thick, greenish-black bill
Black cap
Short, thick legs


Non-breeding:
     Yellowish-green patch between bill and eyes
     Yellow eyes
     Greenish-yellow legs
Breeding:
     Long white plumes on head
     Blue patch between bill and eyes
     Bright red eyes
     Bright pink legs

Learn more about the Nankeen Night Heron.

No comments:

Post a Comment