This is a companion to my other Bird of the Day blog, which focuses on birds I have seen in Victoria, Canada.

In March 2014, my husband and I traveled to Australia. These are the birds I photographed during our time in Melbourne and Tasmania. All of the pictures were taken with my Nikon D3100, which is an entry-level digital SLR camera, and my new AF-S VR 70-300 mm f/4.5-5.G IF ED lens.

Monday, March 24, 2014

Pacific Gull

Larus pacificus

Appearance:
Mostly white
Dark wings and back
Very thick, yellow bill with red tip
Yellow legs 
Light eye
Juveniles:
     Mottled brown all over
     Dark eye, legs and bill


This lone Pacific Gull was looking for handouts with a bunch of Silver Gulls on the beach in Burnie on the northern Tasmanian coast.  It looked huge in relation to the others. Strangely, the smaller gulls didn't seem intimidated by it.  They probably know there is strength in numbers.

Learn more about the Pacific Gull.

No comments:

Post a Comment