This is a companion to my other Bird of the Day blog, which focuses on birds I have seen in Victoria, Canada.

In March 2014, my husband and I traveled to Australia. These are the birds I photographed during our time in Melbourne and Tasmania. All of the pictures were taken with my Nikon D3100, which is an entry-level digital SLR camera, and my new AF-S VR 70-300 mm f/4.5-5.G IF ED lens.

Thursday, March 27, 2014

Sulphur-crested Cockatoo

Cacatua galerita


 

Appearance:
Large cockatoo
Mostly white
Yellow, forwarded-curving crest
Yellow undertail and underwing
Black bill
Grey legs
White eye-ring
Male:
    Black eyes
Female:
    Reddish-brown eyes



These birds are impossible to miss with their extremely loud screeching. They seem to be rather plentiful, often congregating in large flocks.  I have seen them everywhere in Tasmania, both feeding on the ground and in trees. Apparently they like walnuts, or at least that was what one gentleman told me as he angrily shooed a very large number of them out of his yard.  It's hard to imagine such beautiful birds being considered pest.  


Learn more about the Sulphur-crested Cockatoo.

No comments:

Post a Comment