This is a companion to my other Bird of the Day blog, which focuses on birds I have seen in Victoria, Canada.

In March 2014, my husband and I traveled to Australia. These are the birds I photographed during our time in Melbourne and Tasmania. All of the pictures were taken with my Nikon D3100, which is an entry-level digital SLR camera, and my new AF-S VR 70-300 mm f/4.5-5.G IF ED lens.

Monday, March 31, 2014

Yellow Wattlebird

Anthochaera paradoxa


Appearance:
Large honeyeater
Grey-brown plumage streaked with white
Long, yellow wattles hanging from cheeks
Dark wings
Yellow belly
Short, strong, dark bill

Although the Yellow Wattlebird is supposedly common in Tasmania, I only saw one once, on Maria Island.  And believe me, if I'd encountered another one I couldn't have mistaken it for anything else.  It was one of the oddest birds I've ever seen.

The Yellow Wattlebird is one of twelve species of birds that are endemic to Tasmania.  This means they are found nowhere else on earth.

Learn more about the Yellow Wattlebird.

No comments:

Post a Comment