This is a companion to my other Bird of the Day blog, which focuses on birds I have seen in Victoria, Canada.

In March 2014, my husband and I traveled to Australia. These are the birds I photographed during our time in Melbourne and Tasmania. All of the pictures were taken with my Nikon D3100, which is an entry-level digital SLR camera, and my new AF-S VR 70-300 mm f/4.5-5.G IF ED lens.

Monday, April 7, 2014

Australian Pelican

Pelecanus conspicillatus

Water Treatment Plant
Appearance:
Medium-sized pelican
Very large bill 
Mainly white plumage
Black primaries
White panel on upper wing 
White V on rump
Non-breeding:
     Pale pink bill and pouch
     Pale yellow eyering
Breeding:
    Orange orbital skin and bill
    Color of pouch varies 
          -- dark blue, pink, scarlet





 I love the Latin name of this bird. It reminds me of the old Roadrunner and Wile E. Coyote cartoons, where they were given fictitious Latin names like Disappearialis quickius and Apetitius giganticus. Pelecanus conspicillatus indeed!


 Learn more about the Australian Pelican.

No comments:

Post a Comment