This is a companion to my other Bird of the Day blog, which focuses on birds I have seen in Victoria, Canada.

In March 2014, my husband and I traveled to Australia. These are the birds I photographed during our time in Melbourne and Tasmania. All of the pictures were taken with my Nikon D3100, which is an entry-level digital SLR camera, and my new AF-S VR 70-300 mm f/4.5-5.G IF ED lens.

Saturday, April 5, 2014

Australian White Ibis

Threskiornis moluccus

 
Appearance:
Large ibis
White plumage 
Bald, black head and neck
Black tail feathers
Long, black, down-curved bill
Black legs 
Immature:
     Similar to adult 
     Neck covered with black feathers 

During my time in Melbourne, I was lucky enough to make contact with a fellow from BirdLife Melbourne. On my last day there, he took me to the Water Treatment Plant in Werribe. The many lagoons and wetlands there make it a haven for waders and waterbirds. 

These odd looking birds were some of the first birds we encountered upon entering the limited access area.  I snapped pictures of them while leaning out the window of our vehicle as they nonchalantly strolled along the dirt road in front of us.


Learn more about the Australian White Ibis.

No comments:

Post a Comment