This is a companion to my other Bird of the Day blog, which focuses on birds I have seen in Victoria, Canada.

In March 2014, my husband and I traveled to Australia. These are the birds I photographed during our time in Melbourne and Tasmania. All of the pictures were taken with my Nikon D3100, which is an entry-level digital SLR camera, and my new AF-S VR 70-300 mm f/4.5-5.G IF ED lens.

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Chestnut Teal

Anas castanea

male

female
Appearance:
Small dabbling duck 
Red eyes
Slate grey bill
Green speculum bordered by white stripes
Dark underwing   
Male:
     Green head
     Dark brown upper body and wings
     Chestnut flanks, breast and belly
     Black undertail with white patch
Female:
     Mottled brown and grey plumage
     Pale throat, streaked with brown 
     Dark brown eye stripe


These pictures were taken at Royal Botanic Gardens in Melbourne.  If you're wondering whether all that algae is harmful to the ducks, you're not alone.  Looking around on the internet, I discovered that although some algae is a must for a healthy pond, other types are not so good.  Hopefully, this is one of the good ones.

Learn more about the Chestnut Teal.

No comments:

Post a Comment