This is a companion to my other Bird of the Day blog, which focuses on birds I have seen in Victoria, Canada.

In March 2014, my husband and I traveled to Australia. These are the birds I photographed during our time in Melbourne and Tasmania. All of the pictures were taken with my Nikon D3100, which is an entry-level digital SLR camera, and my new AF-S VR 70-300 mm f/4.5-5.G IF ED lens.

Sunday, April 13, 2014

Powerful Owl

Ninox strenua

Appearance:
Large owl
Rounded tail
Grey-brown plumage with white barring
Off-white underside with dark, v-shaped markings
Dark grey facial disc 
Large yellow eyes
Dull yellow feet with large, sharp talons




 




Having been told of a Powerful Owl perched in a tree in Williamstown, we stopped by to have a look.  Sure enough, there he was, halfway up a plane tree right next to a row of parked cars.  As I was looking for the best position for a photograph, a number of locals stopped to fill me in; apparently,  this is a regular hangout for the bird.  One young man even showed me his photos of the owl .... with a possum in his huge claws.  That really wasn't something I wanted to see.   Thanks anyway.


Learn more about the Powerful Owl.

No comments:

Post a Comment