This is a companion to my other Bird of the Day blog, which focuses on birds I have seen in Victoria, Canada.

In March 2014, my husband and I traveled to Australia. These are the birds I photographed during our time in Melbourne and Tasmania. All of the pictures were taken with my Nikon D3100, which is an entry-level digital SLR camera, and my new AF-S VR 70-300 mm f/4.5-5.G IF ED lens.

Thursday, April 10, 2014

Red-rumped Parrot

Psephotus haematonotus


Appearance:
Moderate sized parrot
Male:
      Bright emerald-green plumage
      Yellow underparts
      Red rump
      Blue highlights on wings and upper back
Female:
     Olive-green plumage
     Pale yellow underparts
     Green rump
     Blue-black wingtips

This was another of my sightings at the Water Treatment Plant in Werribee. This colorful bird struck some very nice poses for me while I was photographing him.  And they say that cooperative behaviors are rare in the animal kingdom!

Learn more about the Red-rumped Parrot.

No comments:

Post a Comment