This is a companion to my other Bird of the Day blog, which focuses on birds I have seen in Victoria, Canada.

In March 2014, my husband and I traveled to Australia. These are the birds I photographed during our time in Melbourne and Tasmania. All of the pictures were taken with my Nikon D3100, which is an entry-level digital SLR camera, and my new AF-S VR 70-300 mm f/4.5-5.G IF ED lens.

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Tasmania Native-hen

Tribonyx mortierii

Appearance:
Stocky, flightless bird between 17 and 20 inches in length
Brown head, back and wings
Slate grey underparts
White patch on the flank
Short, black tail mostly held erect
Thick, powerful legs, with a grey scaly appearance
Sharp claw
Bright red eyes
Large yellow bill

The Tasmanian Native-hen is one of  twelve species of birds that are endemic to Tasmania. This means they are found nowhere else on earth.

Learn more about the Tasmanian Native-hen.

No comments:

Post a Comment